Posted: 07.14.2010 Updated: 06.16.2011
What Happened in 1999?
Let’s have a look at what was going on in 1999, shall we? Here’s what made the news in 1999.
Bill Clinton is President and Al Gore is Vice President.
In the News 1999
- The World braces for Y2K.
- John F. Kennedy Jr.’s plane crashes.
- Columbine High School massacre occurs in Littleton, Colorado.
- George W. Bush announces candidacy for President.
- Brandi Chastain rips her shirt off.
- (Enter a top news story for the year here).
- Dow Jones closes above 11,000.
Entertainment in 1999
- Shakespeare in Love wins Best Picture Oscar.
- Roberto Benigni wins Best Actor Oscar.
- Gwyneth Paltrow wins Best Actress Oscar.
- When You Believe wins Best Song Oscar.
- Record of the Year is My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion.
- Album of the Year is The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill by Lauryn Hill.
- Star Wars Episode I is released.
- Woodstock ’99 is held in N.Y.
Sports in 1999
- The Denver Broncos defeat The Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl XXXIII.
- The The New York Yankees win The World Series.
- The San Antonio Spurs win the NBA Championship.
- The Dallas Stars win the Stanley Cup.
- Lance Armstrong wins his first Tour de France.
- Felix Trinidad defeats Oscar de la Hoya.
- Payne Stewart dies in a plane crash.
- Dale Jarrett is NASCAR champion.
Steal My Sunshine