Posted: 07.07.2010 Updated: 01.05.2013
What Happened in 1973?
Let’s have a look at what was going on in 1973, shall we? Here’s what made the news in 1973.
Richard Nixon is President and Spiro Agnew is Vice President.
In the News 1973
- The Paris Peace Accord is reached with Vietnam.
- Rowe v Wade overturns bans on abortion.
- All U.S. troops leave Vietnam.
- The first cellular phone call is made in New York.
- The World Trade Center opens in New York.
- The Watergate hearings air on TV.
- Skylab is launched.
- VP Spiro Agnew resigns.
- Gerald Ford becomes VP.
Entertainment in 1973
- The Godfather wins Best Picture Oscar.
- Marlon Brando wins Best Actor Oscar.
- Liza Minnelli wins Best Actress Oscar.
- The Morning After wins Best Song Oscar.
- The movies The Exorcist, The Sting and American Graffiti draw big box office results.
- Record of the Year is The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack.
- Album of the Year is The Concert for Bangladesh by George Harrison, Eric Clapton, etc.
- Elvis in Hawaii televised world wide.
Sports in 1973
- The Miami Dolphins complete a perfect season by beating The Washington Redskins in Superbowl VII.
- The Oakland Athletics win The World Series.
- The New York Knicks win the NBA Championship.
- The Montreal Canadiens win the Stanley Cup.
- Steinbrenner buys The Yankees.
- O.J. Simpson rushes for 2,000 yards.
- George Foreman knocks out Joe Frazier.
- Tommy Aaron wins The Masters.
- Secretariat wins the triple crown.
- The AP Athlete of the year is O.J. Simpson.
TV Game shows were popular in 1973.